The beginning of my Artist Trading Cards.
I was looking for a brilliant idea to just pop up in my head for the ATC swap I have joined, but nothing seemed to be happening. I had a small collection of fabric strips given to me by a friend that were too small for any project I could think of, but too good to throw away!
Today I decided to stitch them together in a similar way that Bonnie from Quiltville does when she string pieces. I ended up with 10 small blocks that I then stitched together....unfortunately that gave me 5 larger blocks and it seemed that I wouldn't be able to stitch them together to form much of anything, being an odd number and not wanting to stitch then together in a single row. I mulled it over and decided to add some fabric to one block and that allowed me to create almost a rectangle. Good enough!
Then I put some wadding on the back and loaded up my machine with a twin needle some purple and gold embroidery thread and up went the feed dogs. I did a fairly small meander all over quilting design. I was pleased with how it has turned out.
Now I think I will mark out the background with the ATC size blocks, leaving it uncut while I embellish each block before applying the backing and edge finishing.