Translate my blog

Saturday, September 08, 2012

Mid-life Crisis?

Probably not, but I’m at sixes & sevens about many things right now.  One of those things being my stitching life….

I’ve recently felt the need to pack up my sewing room, that is to put away all the projects I have waiting for me to get motivated to finish.  Instead I found myself beginning new projects and having yet another work in progress to clutter up my mind.

Like many other crafty women out there, I have more supplies and projects  to work on than I can humanly expect to complete in several life times, let alone the years I may have left in me.  It’s about time I put some time management strategies into play.  After all I am a CF (control freak) and the total lack of control in life is beginning to expose it’s ugly head to me!!!

There are so many more things I’d like to achieve in my life and unless I begin to take back control of the wasted hours I may not get to experience the joy of seeing those dreams come to fruition.

It is probably also necessary to point out that tonight I have enjoyed two glasses of Southern Comfort and Coke and that is probably a little responsible for my ruminating thoughts, right now!!  So take my ramblings with a grain of salt.

P1050588 Here is my (almost) finished Granny Squares quilt top.  Almost, because when I took it to find a border fabric, I decided to simply add a 2 1/2” border of the cream, machine quilt, and then bind with the chocolate brown.

P1050590 P1050589

These little pouches are a Pinterest find…..and this time I’ve actually acted on the find and made a couple of the little suckers! Noodle Head is where you can find the tutorial.

P1050575 P1050576

Here is Brooklynn enjoying her first Babycinno!

P1050598 P1050597 P1050606

Our garden is blooming with all it’s spring glory and these three Crucifix Orchards are looking fabulous!

P1050594 P1050595l

The King Orchid is blooming.

P1050605 P1050603P1050601 P1050599

The Lavender beds are stunning at this time of the year.

P1050600 The smell is divine!

P1050622 P1050630 P1050625 P1050624

Father’s Day last weekend and as usual the box was as important as the gift it contained, well for Brooklynn at least!!

P1050633 P1050631

Not to be outdone, Jordan became “Box Man”

P1050637 P1050634

We took a drive to Rathdowney and stopped at the pub for lunch. The park was our final stop for Brooklyn to ‘ride’ the horse.

So, while I may have had a change of priorities, I’m never idle…..Right now I’m machine quilting a baby quilt for a friend’s daughter, and I have three hand projects, one applique and two stitcheries in various stages of ‘doneness’.  My plan for the remainder of 2012 is to work on the quilt tops I have been accumulating and the hand projects I have already on the go.

Let’s see how this works for me shall we?

Thanks for visiting,

Julie xxx

7 comments:

Cathy said...

You sound like you are where I was 2 years ago... Don't stress, even if you do pack it all away you make your way back, I have! One day, I may share my ML crisis with you, it's a dosey!!

FlourishingPalms said...

Ah. The many ways that alcohol creates life-changing revelations. I type this after an enjoyable evening of wine, cheese and crackers shared with new friends.

There's absolutely no need to sew a border on your Great Granny quilt! Not every quilt requires borders. More often than not, these days my quilts have no borders. I have just finished quilting my GG quilt, without borders, and am sewing binding to it. Watch for pictures in my next blog post.

I have resisted beginning new projects since moving (almost three months ago now) and feel really great about it. It's like refusing dessert after a great meal. I'm empowered! I feel so obligated to finish the UFOs I have that the thought of starting something new makes me feel awful. You too can live that way! Just say, "No Julie!" Give it a try. I will volunteer to be your coach. You can do it, Julie!

ARC said...

I hear you mate! Stone cold sober here (so many comments you could mutter, I'm sure!) but I know how you feel - we need to do what's right for us at some stage. Don't beat yourself up, do what you need but to give yourself a break from the guilts :-)
Granny squares normally don't 'do it' for me, but yours is seriously wonderful. A bit more cream and then binding - no more is needed IMHO. XX

ARC said...

I hear you mate! Stone cold sober here (so many comments you could mutter, I'm sure!) but I know how you feel - we need to do what's right for us at some stage. Don't beat yourself up, do what you need but to give yourself a break from the guilts :-)
Granny squares normally don't 'do it' for me, but yours is seriously wonderful. A bit more cream and then binding - no more is needed IMHO. XX

Sue said...

Hi CF, haha love the Granny squares. I agree with Linda - I wouldn't do a border. The quilt I'm making ( finishing) at the moment, won't have a border. Its a good feeling to finish off some WIP's. The one I'm doing was started in 2006. You'll soon get your mojo back and start something new. Good luck! VBG!
Gee I'm glad you don't have those wordy things to do on here. One comment I wanted to make on some-ones blog took me 5 attempts before I got it!

blessedspeedy said...

Same!
Im actually a bit depressed about the amount of "stuff" I have accumulated and wondering what to do with it all!

Julie Marchetti said...

I agree with you all. Looking at the piles of "oh so necessary stuff" which still sits patiently waiting does seem like a guilty pleasure some days, but onwards and upwards. Get you MOJO back however you choose...
Or even shock horror, have a break. We are all at a time when we do go - wow, what happens now in this stage of our life...even without alcohol :))